AEU Support Staff
Support Staff members and the AEU are making a real difference to education outcomes, while improving support staff working conditions across the state.
Working with the AEU, support staff members have achieved:
- Transition of Teacher Assistants onto the Tasmanian State Service Award, which includes substantial pay increases, including:
- Teacher Assistant salary increased from $34 648, pro rata in 2007, to a salary range of $54 093 – $8322, pro rata in 2017.
- Pay scales extended from three salary levels to five
- Introduction of Toileting Allowance for Support Staff who are required, and agree, to undertake these roles.
- Introduction of Specialised Health Care Allowance for Support Staff who choose to complete these duties.
- TOIL days in lieu of Easter holidays lost in 2014, 2015 and 2017.
- A new career path introduced through the Para-Professional program that includes free university training. These roles will come with a new title of Education Support Specialist with the first intake to be completed in 2017 and with a salary range of $60 753 – $65 780.
- Implementation of a Teacher Assistant Transfer Agreement with clear guidelines as to how this is to be initiated and processed.
- Option of annualised salary for Support Staff.
- Negotiated option of working an extra three weeks to help address the issue of unpaid stand down.
- DoE to pay for the first three years of Working with Vulnerable Children (WwVC) checks.
- Interim new staffing formula to address Lab Tech workload issues whilst negotiations for new formula are finalised
- The fully-funded School Business Manager Initiative for DoE staff to become university qualified.