The Australian Education Union’s Federal Rules provides the opportunity to award Life Membership or Honorary Membership to individuals who have made an exemplary contribution to the affairs of the Union or to education in general.
Nominations must be received by the AEU Office no later than two (2) months prior to the AGM, which is in September 2018.
In order to be eligible to be nominated for the AEU’s Life Membership a nominee is or has been a financial member for over 10 years. A non-member is eligible to be nominated for the AEU’s Honorary Membership if they have been involved with the union for over 10 years.
In order to be eligible for AEU’s Life Membership a nominee must:
- have made a contribution to the affairs of the AEU and/or education that can be considered outstanding and over and above what might be reasonably expected from involvement in the union while a member of the union
- have made a contribution to AEU in the above manner for a significant number of years
This nomination should be submitted to the State Manager. The nomination must include the following items:
- Completed nomination form completed by both the proposer and seconder.
- Biography of the nominee for promotional purposes (maximum 250 words)
- Detailed information which introduces the nominee, outlines the main reason for the nomination and addresses the criteria (maximum 4 A4 pages)
- Two letters of reference outlining demonstration of criteria
Presentation of the AEU Honorary Life Membership
Recipients of the AEU Life Membership or Honorary Membership will be honoured with a certificate and a plaque. The presentation will be made at an AEU Branch Council Meeting.