AEU Member Resources

Working Extra Hours (including E.g. attendance on Camp)

If you are authorised and required to work for time in excess of what you are ordinarily paid for (such as camp or a school trip), you are entitled to claim overtime or Time off in Lieu (TOIL).

“Authorised” means a verbal or written requirement to undertake the work that is recognised as overtime or an instruction that requires work outside of or in excess of your ordinary hours of duty.

You are entitled to overtime or TOIL in the same way as you are entitled to be paid each hour for your work.

The Tasmanian State Service Award No. 1 of 2020 (Consolidated) (State Service Award) provides for how overtime is to be paid. If you are required to work more than your normal ordinary hours of duty then you should be paid as follows:

Monday to Friday: you should be paid 1.5 times your normal hourly rate of pay for the first 3 hours and then double your normal hourly rate of pay

Saturdays and Sundays: you should be paid double your normal hourly rate of pay.

Unless you are clearly told that from a specific time you have no responsibility for the care of a student or the class at the camp or school trip, pay should continue until you are given a break from responsibility for a period of at least 8 hours. This could mean that you should be paid double your normal hourly rate of pay for all the hours you attended camp or school trip.


Instead of being paid overtime for the hours you were at Camp, you could take paid TOIL for the additional hours you worked if you and the employer (Principal/SBM) agrees to this.

However, if it is not possible to take TOIL within 28 days or by mutual agreement then you should be paid the overtime.

Camp Allowance

For information relating to camp allowance and rates, please refer to ‘Allowances You Can Claim’ Fact Sheet.

Need support?
We're here to help

Get support

Send Us A Message​​