Follow us

AEU Member Resources

Medical Certificates

Share this

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

You may take up to five days of personal leave in a year without a medical certificate but it cannot be for three or more consecutive days. Our view is that you are better off providing a certificate whenever you can.

If you are taking personal leave (sick or carers leave) for three or more consecutive days then you will need to provide your employer with a medical certificate.

This medical certificate needs to be from a registered health practitioner. This includes registered health practitioners for illness or injury within their chosen field of practice. So this means that a certificate from a dentist for a mental condition will not be accepted, but for an infected tooth it would be fine.

Registered Health Practitioners include:

  • medical doctors – general practitioners, specialists and surgeons;
  • chiropractors;
  • dentists;
  • nurses/midwives;
  • osteopaths;
  • pharmacists;
  • physiotherapists;
  • psychologists;
  • dental prosthetics/specialist (Tasmanian only);
  • optometrists (Tasmanian only);
  • podiatrists (Tasmanian only); and
  • radiation technologists (Tasmanian only).

What if you cannot get a medical certificate? #

If it is not reasonably practicable for you to provide a medical

certificate then you can provide a statutory declaration stating the circumstances and the reasons for which leave is required.

But you cannot provide a statutory declaration if are absent for three or more consecutive days, or you have taken the five days of personal leave without a medical certificate above.

Other points to note #

If an employee provides a medical certificate for only part of the employee’s absence, the remaining period must be recorded as non-certificated leave.

A principal/manager should not allow you to attend work if that day is covered by a medical certificate unless a medical clearance is provided by a registered health practitioner.

Personal leave for illness or injury will not be granted to you if you are suspected of being absent from duty without sufficient cause.

With a reasonable notice you may be directed to undergo a medical examination by a registered health practitioner selected and paid for by your employer at any reasonable time and place. If so let us know.

If they seek your consent to obtain a medical report from your GP contact us before providing consent.

Need a print version of this fact sheet?

Download it here (PDF)

Need support?
We're here to help

Get support

Send Us A Message​​

We are the voice of public education in Tasmania. We represent and advocate for all teachers, principals and support staff working in government schools, colleges and TAFE.

We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and Traditional Custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.

Members Quick links

The AEU offers a range of services and support for its members through its network of Industrial Officers, workplace Representatives (Reps), Organisers and the AEU Membership Team.

AEU Members Area

Need help or first time logging in? Click here