Are you being overworked?
- Any AEU member who believes they are working excessive hours should keep records of hours worked.
- Ensure you raise the matter with your supervisor/manager in the first instance.
- Discuss how workloads can be managed in a consultative manner and be mutually agreeable.
Hours of Work
Full time staff are engaged for 35 hours per week, and for 1400 hour per annum which can be divided into –
- Delivery activities – up to 1300 hours per annum.
- Development activities – nominally 100 hours per annum.
Direct Learning – for fulltime employees. This consists of an annual teaching load of up to 760 hours or 19 hours per week on average.
However, an employee can deliver up to 23 hours per week for 3 consecutive weeks or up to 21 hours per week for 17 consecutive weeks.
Full time teaching staff who commenced employment after 1 July 2022 are engaged for 38 hours per week, and can work up to 25 hours of direct learning each week.
Education Managers are to implement procedures to monitor hours worked, particularly regular hours worked in excess of hours employed to do the job. Changes such as extra resources will be implemented and in most circumstances vacancies will be filled, within three months.
Education Managers need to consult with affected employees as to why vacancies cannot be filled and how workloads will be managed. Specific allocation or time tabling of workloads is to be assigned by the Education Manager in consultation with the employee.
Any employee who believes that their workload may be excessive, can seek a review of such.
A review of the ‘reasonableness’ of workloads will be assessed with regard to:
- The requirements of the workplace, team or enterprise client.
- The equitable distribution of duties across all team members.
- The skills, competencies, knowledge and experience of the employee.
- The adequacy of DOTT to enable the required direct learning to be delivered.
- The level of activities required in undertaking workplace learning.
- Any risk to employees health and safety.
- The employee’s personal circumstances.
- Within 6 months of the Agreement being registered a workload scheduling tool must be developed & implemented.
If you are concerned that your workload is excessive, please contact us at email@example.com