For TAFE members we are seeking clarification of the processes please contact MSC after reviewing the fact sheet.
If you are a relief member and you have been unable to work for any reason related to COVID-19, contact our legal team at the Member Support Centre to discuss your options.
The State Service Regulations provide for COVID related leave.
It provides the Deputy Secretary of the Department or Tas TAFE CEO with the power to give any state service employee up to 20 days (4 weeks) if full time, pro-rata if you are part-time, COVID leave. And they have further discretion to give additional leave.
If you have COVID
You may be eligible for communicable diseases leave if you have COVID. Refer to our Communicable Diseases Leave Fact Sheet.
The reason for this is that CDL is not part of your personal leave it is an additional entitlement.
Therefore, taking it has no impact on your personal leave, your usual entitlements remain, including your carers leave entitlement.
When are you eligible to apply?
- You have COVID; you have experienced side effects following vaccination consisting of COVID symptoms; or you are required to support a relative or member of your household who has COVID/or symptoms following vaccination; and you have exhausted your personal leave entitlements.
- You are required by a direction under the Public Health Act or Emergency Management Act to enter isolation.
- You are responsible for providing care or support to a relative of member of your household who is unable to attend school or other care arrangements being unavailable due to COVID 19.
- You are in self-isolation, awaiting test results, after you;
- have been tested for COVID-19; and
- have been advised by yourself or your manager to self-isolate; and
- you are ready willing and able to return to work in your workplace; and
- you are unable to work from home.
- You are unable to attend work at your workplace for any reason relating to COVID-19, other than a reason referred to above and are unable to work from home.
Then the Deputy Secretary of the Department or Tas TAFE CEO may give you COVID leave.
If you are unable to access COVID leave for any reason, please contact us.
The secretary/CEO’s discretion
The secretary should grant COVID leave if the circumstances above are met. However, they retain the right not to grant leave. If your leave is not granted call us.
As we see it the discretion is there to prevent abuse.
COVID-19 Leave and Relief Employees
Relief employees who meet the eligibility requirements listed above may be entitled to COVID-19 leave with pay.
The State Service Regulations state that leave may be granted for “a period, in aggregate, of working days that is not more than the number of working days in a standard 4-week period of employment of the relevant employee”.
For assistance in applying for COVID-19 leave or where you feel you are being denied an entitlement to leave, please contact your AEU organiser or Member Support Centre.
Another option is Leave Without Pay.
Government is generally unwilling to let employees use long service leave to supplement personal leave. However, we can assist you to request long service leave if necessary.
For those under the Teaching Award please note that the Deputy Secretary has the power to grant you up to an additional 20 days personal leave, this is commonly known as “Secretary’s leave”. We can assist you to apply for this. However this is best done only if all other relevant leave entitlements are exhausted.
Do not hesitate to contact your organiser or MSC for support if you have any issues with getting COVID leave or require other leave.