We understand that new educator teachers face specific challenges at work. By taking action together, AEU members have achieved some huge wins for new educators in your latest Agreement:
- 11.3-12.1% pay rise for teachers over the life of the Agreement – around $150 a year for new starters.
- We scrapped the salary cap for unregistered teachers – seeing a pay jump of $30k per year for some new educators.
- We secured an extra 1 hour (pro rata) teacher assistant support – every week, for every teacher.
- We locked in release time for mentoring with experienced teachers – not just ad hoc time you can’t count on.
- We’ve expanded Beginning Teacher Time Release (BeTTR) for Early Career Teachers (4hrs/fortnight for 1st Year ECTs; 2hrs/fortnight for 2nd Year ECTs)
- Reduced instructional load for 1st Year (90%) and 2nd Year (95%) teachers, giving you more time to focus on planning.
As well as standing up for better pay and conditions – we’re also here to provide advice when you need it, providing training and skills development opportunities, and campaigning to improve public education.
NEN runs professional development opportunities for AEU members a similar stage in their careers and provides a safe space for you to meet others, have a direct say about changes in your workplace and government policy.