Soon after widespread media reports of our survey that showed 77 per cent of you were opposed to lowering the school starting age, the State Government announced that the change would no longer be compulsory.
The Government’s compromise has simply increased confusion and does not deal with any of the flaws of the original policy and your Executive’s position is to remain opposed to the change.
Amendments to the school starting, and leaving ages, are proposed as part of the Government’s review of the Education Act and legislation is expected to be introduced to state parliament later this month.
We will be sharing your concerns about the proposal to lower the starting age, and increase the leaving age, with members of the Legislative Council in the coming weeks.
- Member survey report into school start/finish changes
- Branch Council Motions opposing changes (12 August)
- Media release (12 August)
- Some of our media coverage:
- Government’s media release announcing the move to voluntary start age
- Our statement in response to Government compromise